Nope, no baby. Not yet. Still more than a week away from the EDD.
I enjoyed myself at the Shepherd’s Harvest festival last weekend. It has expanded considerably since the previous year – the vendor areas went from 2 barns to part of a third, which I think is great. I saw more indie dyers and a lot of needlefelting supplies, but few people were selling spinning wheels (or spindles, for that matter). Even though I knew about 10 or so people who were going to the festival, I didn’t see anyone I recognized.
The weather was cool and rainy, so I wore my Noro wrap in lieu of a coat. Nothing like wearing a great big handknit to a wool festival! About 5 people stopped me to ask if I’d made it, what kind of yarn it was, etc, and that was great fun. Matt said to me later that while I was busy shopping (and he was following me around totally bored, the poor thing), he noticed people nodding to each other and pointing at my shawl.
“Are you sure they weren’t pointing at my ginormous belly?”
“Nope, usually your back was to them, I’m pretty sure it was the shawl.”
This what I bought:
I bought a mini orifice hook to fit my small-orifice wheels. (I discuss making the spinning wheel orifice smaller here.) I also bought 50 g of hand dyed bombyx silk top from Lone Tree Wools (no Web site). I’m planning to use this in a blend, but it’s so far down the project queue, it’ll probably be next year before I get to it.
The two big bumps of roving are from Handspun by Stefania – madder and osage dyed Corriedale and silk. If you remember, I bought a bit last year. I enjoyed spinning it so much, I decided to get enough for a complete project. This time, I bought just over 1 lb. Of course, the dyelots are a little different, but I think I can overcome that.
I had (in theory, anyway) wanted to finish spinning the fiber I purchased last year before this year’s show. The pygora, as I mentioned previously, is at least in the plying stage. Not so for the Stefania roving. I started spinning this on vacation last year, put it on hold, and only recently pulled it out again. I’ve completed 1 bobbin!
The 2 dyelots are shown in the picture – it’s hard to see, but the new stuff is a little less intense red. (Last year’s lot is almost Chinese-flag red.) But it still is pretty close. I am stripping the roving into thin pieces and spinning long draw. This will eventually be a 3-ply yarn, 1 ply of last year’s fiber, 2 plies of this year’s fiber. That way, I should have at least 24 oz of homogeneous yarn… hopefully enough for a full-size project.