Chicken Viking hat is a hit!

I just came back from a near-week down at the Jersey shore visiting with Matt’s family – and aside from being asked several times about when I was going to get started on what is clearly the first of at least 3 children (d’oh!), it was a great visit. 😀

I did finish the chicken yarn in time, it was plied, washed, and dried the day before we left. I think this is ~6 oz of yarn. It handled beautifully, just as I expect from a superwash. It also held up to multiple knits and frogs without showing any stress.


The pattern is aptly described: “main hat is simple; drumsticks are tedious and complicated.” I did make a halfhearted attempt at doing it from the top down but abandoned that when I realized it was tricky to figure out where the goosebumps were supposed to be during the increase portion. I also had a mess of a time trying to start the base of the drumstick (sweartagahd I knit these ‘sticks at least 5x) and eventually just used a pencil to make a light mark on each stitch that I needed to pick up. Photo of the hat sans kid is here. I had a lot of yarn leftover. I’m too lazy to go weigh what remains, but I don’t think I even used half of what I had.

The picture we’ve all been waiting for:

Chicken Viking
Mom Leslie and Baby Dan

A few responses to some of the comments from the previous post – I don’t usually reverse engineer yarn because, as some of you pointed out, it is a nuisance. However, I think many of us would agree that it is a useful skill to have. When you have something particular in mind, you should know how to spin the kind of yarn you need. Knowledge at every level – what kind of fiber is best for your project, how many plies, what amount of twist – will give you unlimited access to any kind of yarn. (What retail shop can promise that?) The other reason I did this project with handspun is because I rarely ever knit with my own yarn, it is good to actually make some and use it once in a while.

UPDATED TO ADD: I did make a minor modification to the pattern and changed the way the toes were made that eliminates much of the end-weaving. I pulled a long length of yarn after finishing the first toe (heel, I guess), threaded a needle with it, and drew it down to the base of the toe, then it was in the right place to do the next one. When all was said and done, there were only 2 ends to weave in. Hope this makes sense.

13 thoughts on “Chicken Viking hat is a hit!

  1. Well! the only reason I can see for knitting that hat is that it looks so great on such a cute baby. The child makes the hat!

  2. I agree – the baby makes the hat… but LOL about you making a baby for the hat to rebound to your house. I am quite sure that’s the devious plot.

  3. I do not like the chicken hat conceptually…and yet….that succeeds beyond my wildest visions of the outcome. I am also terribly impressed with the yarn reverse engineering. Exposure to you is going to make me learn about spinning far more methodically and effectively. It is hard to argue with your results.

Comments are closed.