Last weekend, I was peeking into the fiber storage bins and came across a partial fleece that I had forgotten about. It’s a naturally colored Corriedale – chocolate brown with silver fibers, slightly bleached tips, almost VM free (from a covered animal). I bought it years ago, scoured it, and put it away.
Isn’t it just gorgeous? Here’s a closeup of a single lock:
I think the final weight was a little over a pound. I didn’t want to card it myself, but it seemed somewhat wasteful to send fiber out for processing when the total weight was that low. I dug up some bleached tussah silk for blending. (Remember I said I was soaking silk last weekend for a dye session?)
One rarely sees the combination of brown and pink in roving (I hope it’s not because that’s a vomitous combination!), and Valentine colors were sort of strong in my mind. I didn’t exactly want the classic carnation pink and thought I’d tone the pink down with purples. This was dyed in the turkey roaster, mostly by sprinkling dye powders, although I did use some of the old dyestocks that I have gadding about in the laundry room. I used Washfast acid dyes and citric acid, the colors include Deep Red, Raspberry Sorbet, Mulberry, and some kind of purple (sorry, I forgot!).
Before the photo session, I drafted the top a little, otherwise it looked like a wet cat. I am really happy with how this turned out – even though I bumped my hand when I was pouring the dyestock and dumped a big bolus of purple in the middle of the roaster.
The wool and silk will be carded together into roving – the final ratio is about 80/20 (OK, for you bean counters out there, it’s 78/22). Altogether, it’s almost 2 lbs of fiber, so even with carding waste, I’ll get enough back for an adult-size project. I’m sending this to the guys at Wooly Knob – they did a really nice job with the last stuff I sent them, and for once, I think I need their long turnaround time.
Next up in the destashing, I have 2 pristine balls of Reynolds Odyssey, plus ~32 g of a leftover ball. The reason the leftover is in a plastic baggie is because when I was knitting from it, it was exposed to cats. The other 2 were taken out of the original bag only for photographing and thus are as cat-free as anything can be in my house.
ETA – Yarn has sold
The yarn forms subtle stripes as it is knit. I think this should be sufficient yardage for a pair of fingerless mitts, a hat, or even a pair of (smallish?) mittens. According to Webs, the yarn retails for $9.95/ball. How ’bout we say $12 for the whole thing, and I’ll pay first-class shipping in the US?
I also tried weaving on a very small scale last year. I don’t think I ever talked about it because I was not excited about the project. In any case, my uninterest is your gain!
ETA – Looms have sold
This is a Hazel Rose Loom Tiny Weaver set. They are very similar to Weavette looms. This handmade set retails for $39.95 plus shipping (my receipt from March 2006 shows $49.13). I made 3 squares using this tutorial and decided it was not for me. I have some good “practice yarn” – 100% wool, worsted weight singles, pretty colors, but scratchy as hell – I will throw in a bit of that so you don’t have to sacrifice any yarn while you figure out how to weave. I’ll let this go for $30 and split the USPS priority mail shipping cost with you.